Clients and the community at large have the right to express their concerns and complaints about any aspect of the services that The AIDS Network (TAN) offers. TAN shall provide and make accessible a process to encourage the resolution of complaints relating to the rights of clients and the community. No client shall be penalized for lodging a complaint.
Clients and community members have the right to express their concerns and complaints about any aspect of the services offered by The AIDS Network through the following process:
1. Clients or any community members who wish to complain about the actions of an employee or volunteer should direct their complaint to the Executive Director for a timely resolution.
2. Complaints should be directed to the Executive Director in a timely fashion within a maximum of 10 days from the reason to lodge a complaint. This will allow for a careful review of the facts. Complaints made about an event that occurring over three months preceding the initial report may not be able to be reviewed in a through fashion due to the passage of time.
3. In the event that a complaint is not dealt with after a verbal report or is serious in nature the complaint should be made in writing. Complaints should be documented and signed on the Complaint Form. The AIDS Network representative hearing the complaint should assist the client with filling out the complaint form if necessary.
4. The Executive Director will respond to all complaints within three business days depending on the nature of the complaint.
5. The Executive Director will be responsible for conducting a review of all aspects of the compliant. This may include placing the affected employee on a paid leave until the review is completed. In the case of a volunteer they will not be active within the agency until the review is completed
6. If the Executive Director’s response to the complaint is unsatisfactory, or if the complaint is about the Executive Director, the client should then direct their complaint to the Executive of the Board of Directors.
7. Clients who wish to complain about the actions of a Board member should direct their complaint to the Executive of the Board of Directors.
8. If the complaint concerns a member of the Executive, that member shall remove themselves from the Executive discussion of the complaint.
9. The decision of the Executive of the Board of Directors shall be final.
10. All information concerning a complaint is confidential. Only parties involved in resolving the complaint should have information about the complaint. Documentation will be filed in the Executive Director’s office, not in client files. (Unless the complaint is about the Executive Director in which case the documentation will be held by the Board).
11. No client shall be penalized or have their access to services affected by accessing the complaints process.
12. All complaints will be reported to the Board of Directors by the Executive Director.
13. All individuals who submit a written complaint will receive a written response to their complaint.
14. All documentation regarding the review of complaints will be kept on file in the Executive Directors offices.
15. Information about this policy and copies of the complaint forms will be widely accessible to all clients.
May 18th, 2016
This policy is subject to review by The AIDS Network’s Board of Directors and may be changed at any time.
If you would like to make a formal complaint, please return to Feedback & Complaints and select the appropriate complaint form.