Internal/External Job Posting
Harm Reduction Worker – On-Call, Relief
The AIDS Network is a registered charitable organization that offers services and education to people living in the communities of Hamilton, Halton, Haldimand, Norfolk and Brant. Established in 1986, we are the only organization in the region that offers services and support to men, women, children, and families who have been affected by HIV/AIDS.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Harm Reduction Worker, on-call casual position, provides relief driver staffing on The Van Syringe Distribution Program in Hamilton, Ontario. The Harm Reduction Worker will assist in the implementation and monitoring of the Van Syringe Distribution Program by providing the distribution of harm reduction supplies, support, education, referrals, and other harm reduction strategies to service users who use drugs.
On-Call Van shifts include: Evenings from 6:30 pm to 11:30 pm. The ideal candidate has availability throughout the week which includes weekends, and can be available with short notice.
The Harm Reduction Worker is a frontline position which reports directly to the Harm Reduction Program Supervisor at The AIDS Network.
· To provide relief staff coverage as per operational requirements for the Van Needle Syringe Distribution Program in partnership with Hamilton Public Health Services (HPHS) through providing harm reduction supply distribution, support, education, referrals and other harm reduction strategies to service users who use drugs and are at risk of contracting blood borne or sexually transmitted infections.
· To liaise and maintain good working relationships with community, social service and addictions social service agencies and groups in the Greater Hamilton Area.
· To comply with requirements of HPHS, Health Protection and Promotion Act, Mental Health Act, the Personal Health Information Protection Act, and other relevant legislation.
· To maintain records, reports, and statistics necessary for program functioning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting.
· Professional development and other duties as approved by Executive Director or designate.
· Experience working with people who use drugs within a Harm Reduction framework.
· Post-secondary education in social service/social work, addiction, or mental health.
· Ability to communicate effectively regarding harm reduction strategies and approaches.
· Demonstrated ability to successfully engage people who use drugs and/or provide services to marginalized communities.
· Comfortable driving a cargo sized van.
· Must have valid Ontario G Class driver’s license and able to provide cleared driving and police record checks.
· The successful candidates must be able to lift over 25lbs, ability to communicate effectively in a high stress environment, possess strong crisis management skills and the ability to effectively evaluate client risk.
· To effectively supervise and volunteers and students as shift partners.
WHAT WE OFFER: This is a casual on-call position with The AIDS Network. We offer competitive compensation and access to ongoing skill development opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY: Please forward your electronic resume and covering letter by email only no later than 9:00am on Thursday, June 9th, 2022 to email@example.com
The AIDS Network values inclusion and diversity and promotes access and equity using an anti racism, anti oppression framework. Persons living with HIV or with a history of substance use are encouraged to apply.